Saturday 15 April 2017

15th April - cloudy am, sunny pm. 13C light/mod NW

This morning I had a look at the Shawell lagoons.  At first things seemed quite but then A few Sand Martin and Swallows appeared feeding over the water.  On the south pool there was c50 Sand Martin, c10 Swallow and 2 House Martin.  A few Tufted Duck, Coot and 2 Little ringed Plover were present too.   Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler were singing, as was a Song Thrush.

After lunch I visited Cotesbach landfill to look at the Gulls, Carl was already there and had seen the Iceland Gull already.  After some searching the Iceland Gull was found again, this is the latest Spring date I had seen one.   There a very good number of Gulls present at the landfill, and Carl had found 2 Caspian Gulls, one of which I did see.

After this I moved off to continue my annual Rookery count in the 10Km square that I have part completed.  The area I covered sometimes has breeding Curlew, but none were seen today, they are very scarce breeders in the Midlands.  A female Sparrowhawk few past, but little else was showing in the cool NW wind.

5 Swallows were sitting on the village Telegraph wires today, so more have returned

No comments:

Post a Comment