Saturday 8 April 2017

8th April- sunny all day, very warm, 21C, light southerly

An amazingly warm and sunny day for so early in the year.

About 0900h I had a quick look at Cotesbach pools field area.  Things were fairly quite there, then a female Mallard made its way down the field towards the nearest pools following by 13 ducklings, about a day old, the succeeded in making it to the water which the female seemed to appreciate.  Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me.

After lunch I decided to visit Cossington Meadows where a Juv Glossy Ibis has been present for quite a while.  I made my way to the Rectory marsh it preferred but could not find it, a single Little Egret was feeding there. I continued to walk around the area to further pools it may have been at.  On the Tern pool a nice selection of duck species was present, Teal, Shoveler, Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Mallard.   On the top pool a Great-crested Grebe was building a nest.

As I walked around at least 2 Cettis' Warblers were singing, a couple of Blackcap, Great-Spotted and Green Woodpecker.  I returned back to the Rectory marsh, still not there, I waited for over an hour, but it did not show, no doubt it will be back.  While waiting there was plenty to watch, including Treecreeper in the Willows behind me, sometimes singing.

Again plenty of the common early Spring butterflies were on the wing.


No comments:

Post a Comment