Sunday 8 April 2018

8th April - cloudy, light rain pm, 11C, light NE

Willey; At breakfast time a pair of Red-legged Partridge were on the neighbours' roof, I took a distant photo with the phone.

The male Swallow was again feeding around the Sheep and Lambs, mid-day it was on telegraph wires in the village next to the sheds they nest in.  Soon others will join him - hopefully.

Stanford reservoir; an afternoon visit here. Already today many reports of bird movements indicating migration has really got underway.
Starting at the dam end there was not too much about, then a bird flew passed -  an Osprey. It spent a while hunting in the bay, mostly out of my view, then flew towards the inlet end - again out of view.  The rain increased a little and I noticed a bird distantly perched on a tree - the Osprey was resting.  I tried to get some record photos through the rain and mist, not too good I'm afraid.


While tracking the Osprey I noticed that there was a lot of hirundines around too, at least 70 Sand Martins, 30 Swallows and 2 House Martins.
More Chiffchaff, a couple of Blackcaps and Willow Warblers too.  The weather was really keeping things quiet and under cover.  On the water 9 Wigeon, 10+ Goldeneye, several Gadwall, a single Shelduck flew along the reservoir.
3 Linnets were in their usual area, with several singing Chaffinch and Reed Buntings around.  On the dam were a pair of grey and Pied Wagtails.



I also spotted some fungi just just developing, I'll keep and eye on them, need to check their identity.



No comments:

Post a Comment