Wednesday 10 May 2017

10th May - a frost last night, becoming sunny, 17C, light breeze, SW the East

As the wind changed to a southerly point Imdecided on a dawn visit to Stanford reservoir, it was 0C when I arrive at about 0530h and felt pretty chilly.  However, the sun was coming up in a clear sky and warming quickly.  My expectations were that some waders could have come in over night, but Imwas disappointed to some extent as it was very quite.  I did see two Common Sandpipers together, about from the usual birds I could not find anything new or other passage waders.

As I mentioned the other day I decided to se if I could find thenGreen Woodpeckers nest, well, I did find it in the expected wooded area and  could here young calling from the nest so quickly left the area, especially as one adult was calling not too far away.

I made a short visit to Shawell lagoons, the Whooper Swan was still present, but only 3 Mute Swns today.  I did get a new bird here, for me, a Little Egret, possible the second record for the site.  In all I have now seen 105 species at this site.   Seven Swalows flew Over the water, taking a drink, possibly on passage, followed shortly by  12 Sand Martins that may be nestlings in the nearby sand quarry.



No comments:

Post a Comment