Tuesday 30 May 2017

30th May - sunny spells, light SW, humid, thundery

Willey; This morning while dealing with some stinging nettles I noticed they has several Ladybirds on them, I then noticed a larger, black looking beetle which I think is a Harlequin Ladybird, a good job phones have cameras..  It is an invasive species, first seen in Britain in 2014, either accidentally or blown over from mainland Europe as it has spread there too.  It originates from Asia, unfortunately it eats beetles, including our native Ladybirds.  Its spread in the UK is well documented (harlequin-survey.org).  this is the first one I have seen in our area.



Later in the morning I noticed a Cinnabar Moth in the grass.

Early evening I noticed a very colourful little spider on the rear of my car, sheltering in the logo.  I've no idea what species, do you?  It may be a Green Orb-Weaver Spider

Stanford Reservoir;  This evening I visited the reservoir, on arrival an Osprey had just been reported, fortunately it was still present and I was able to watch it for a while before it moved off.  A single Little-ringed Plover was in the location where the chicks were the other day, they were seen earlier, in fact they have been caught and ringed and are back with there mother without a problem.  The lapwing still has her 4 chicks.

photo to be added.

A couple of Teal, 3 Shoveler, 12+ Gadwall were among the ducks present.  All the usual warblers were present, the Cuckoo was calling and overhead 40+ Swifts were busily feeding.  A Male Bullfinch was making its way through the bushes, Linnet flew over and several Chaffinch were singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment