Friday 5 May 2017

5th May - sunny, steady NE wind, 16C

The morning was busy doing jobs and again news of new birds at Stanford reservoir came in, so after lunch I made my way there.

I Had soon found a Greenshank, but I was looking for more, so I quickly headed for the Blowers Lodge bay.  As I walked down I viewed the shore line towards the main Reed bed and found a Wood Sandpiper, may be a different bird than seen the other day.  I viewed the bay from the hide and soon found the 3 Turnstones that were present this morning, a Redshank and Barwit were also present.  Other regular birds were on view too, including 18 Common Terns.

I continued round the bay and found several Greenshank and then the 2 Spotted Redshank were found feeding, they looked superb.  Further, 3 Turnstone were nearby on the shore busy feeding.


From the far side of the bay I started to scan the rocky spit, where Whimbrel often roost, as I scanned a Swan stuck its head up in line of sight - I could not initially believe  it was a Whooper Swan.  Where this had come from is any ones quess, but a nice surprise.  It looked like a 1st summer and ma have become separated from its flock on the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment