Wednesday 28 June 2017

28th June - light rain until late afternoon, light breeze NW, 16C

This morning I left London early and directly from the station drove to Rempstone to find the Bee-eaters.  Arriving there in light but steady rain and fingers crossed I was informed 3 had been seen briefly looking quite wet.  I waited, with about 10 others at the viewing site overlooking a pool towards their favourite tree.  For an hour the rain fell and no Bee-eaters.  Then during a slightly brighter moment a Bee-eater appeared in the tree, then 3 others, they fed and called a little, as the rain returned a couple disappeared.  Still, I was able to watch them for a while and managed some digiscoped photos.  Maybe I'll return on a sunny day, as it is thought they may be breeding.








While waiting a Kestrel with prey, a Buzzard and Hobby were seen, plus other common birds.

Stanford reservoir;  I made a short visit in the evening, there was a lot of hirundines low of the water and 300+ Swifts.  The Hobby made an appearance hunting.  The Shelduck family is now down to 3 ducklings form 4.  A single Greenshank was feeding in the inlet bay.


No comments:

Post a Comment