Friday 2 June 2017

2nd June - sunny am, humid, clouding over, spots of rain later, 21C, light breeze SW

Willey; In the church yard this morning the Goldcrest was heard singing and a Nuthatch was calling.  The Jackdaw young have now fledged, leaving the chimney and making it to a tall Yew tree in the church yard where they are quite vocal.  I spotted a Robin feeding young in the nest in one of our sheds.

Mere lane lake; as I was passing I had a stroll around the lake, nothing new but stil nice to see/heard the Reed Warblers, there were Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat and several Blackcap too.  Not much on the lake apart from squabbling Little Grebe over there territories.  The Reed Bunting is still singing in his territory, hopefully he has a mate.  A good number of Common Blue Dameselfly, not Dragonfly seen.  A Common Blue butterfly flew passed without stopping.

Alvecote Pools;  a Corncrake has been present for a few days, calling in a hay pasture next to the lane, so this evening I decide to go and see for myself.  I arrived at 1830h and immediately heard the bird calling.  It was not too far away, but not visible.  I stayed until 200h when it started to rain quite heavily.  All this time the Corncrake called regularly but never did it become visisble, so tantalising close though, but great to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment