Saturday 10 June 2017

10th June - cloudy morning, sunny spells pm before dull evening with spots rain. mod-fresh SW, 20C

This morning I visited the Kenilworth show, a local agricultural show, which was interesting.  A few Swifts and Buzzard were seen over head.

Mere Lane lake; I popped to the local lake mid afternoon, the breeze was quite keen, but mild, many birds were keeping in cover.  On the lake there were 2+ Little Grebes, Mallard and Tufted Duck, Coot with young of various ages were feeding, like this quite young one, with a scraggy orange head..


Reed Warblers were singing still, as were Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Blackbird, Reed Bunting and a Goldcrest.  I spotted a Whitethroat with food for young in a nest and further on a family of Whitethroats were gathered in the scrub.  Four Swallows dropped in for a flying drink.

There was a good number of insects about, probably more had it been less windy.  Several Speckled Wood and a very uniform coloured Meadow Brown was flying, I spotted a single painted lady, this flew off rapidly before I could get a photo.



Looking at the many other insects the variety and colours were amazing, I photographed some, which I have yet to determine their species identity.









No comments:

Post a Comment