Sunday 18 June 2017

18th June - sunny, very hot, 30C, very light breeze

Willey;  a field was cut for hay today, several Lesser-black Backed Gulls were dropping down and picking up food items.  You never use to see Gulls follow the grass cutters, only the plough, but they have learnt to do so.
In the Long Spinney to the west I stood at a area which was once favoured by Spotted Flycatcher.  While I stood a Goldcrest sang, a Great spotted Woodpecker searched for food, a Song Thrush was in full voice and Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blue and Great Tits were around.

Mid-morning I visited the Shawell sandpit area hoping for Marbled White Butterflies, none were seen. Good numbers of other common Meadow/hedgerow butterflies including several Small Heath, as shown here.



A Stock dove sat in a tree by the lane as I walked past.



Stanford reservoir; I visited here mid- late afternoon, it was very hot so decided on a slow short water on the shaded side.  I think all wildlife seemed to be taking it easy with few butterflies, Dragonflies and birds on the wing.  On the island in the narrows I did spot a Curlew, this later moved to the inlet area, and 3 Ringed Plover -one a juvenile.  A moulting Shoveler sat asleep, while the Canada and Greylag Geese numbers continue to grow.  Back at the inlet the Lapwing chicks are really a god size now and probably ought to be called juveniles.  I noticed a Curlew resting and spotted a second one feeding behind it, so one more than I initially thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment