Friday 9 June 2017

9th June - cloudy am, becoming brighter and sunny, 19C, light Westerly

Willey; The Goldcrest was singing again today.  This evening near parsons Close a male Swallow was singing on the telegraph wires, some Starlings flew over and one sat nearby for a while.



I continued to the wood nearby hoping something would be about, in fact it was fairly quiet but I could here a Treecreeper not far off.  By waiting by an Ash tree it became apparent that the parents were collecting food for their youngsters nearby.  One Treecreeper climbed the tree very near to me.  As I left a Green Woodpecker called from somewhere within the wood.
In the dusk a Grey Heron flew over the village calling several times.

Stanford reservoir;  I made a visit this afternoon, it seemed a bit quiet bird-wise.  A Great-spotted Woodpecker greeted me in the trees at the inlet car park.  The 4 Lapwing chicks are still present with their mother.  Plenty of Swifts overhead and Sand Martins over the water.  A couple of Teal and 4 Shoveler (2 pairs).  I spotted my first juvenile Black-headed Gull of the year that was presumably reared inland somewhere, but not here.

A Buzzard was be harassed by a Carrion Crow, whilst a Kestrel hunted over the grassy area of the bay.

Insects were numerous, several Speckled Wood butterflies and 2 Larger Skipper (first of the year) were seen.


Another insect that caught my eye was a Great Pied Hoverfly.


No comments:

Post a Comment