Tuesday 10 September 2019

10th Sept - sunny spells, light NW, 17C

Willey; this morning Swallows were around the fields, easily 40, at about 1800h there were at least 80 sitting on the telegraph wires, also a few juv House Martins with them.

First thing several Mistle Thrushes were on the Yew trees again, eating the berries.

A little later a Great Tit was singing, a dialect I've not heard here before.  A Jay flew over the Coal pit lane from the long spinney in to the hedgerow trees (1130h).

A couple of young Frogs were spotted in the pasture when clearing up some logs, near the corner bog area.

Cotesbach landfill; an evening visit which I nearly gave a miss, fortunately not.  I soon spotted a wader, which to my surprise was a Wood Sandpiper, I watched this a while before it disappeared behind vegetation.  Scanning further I spotted another Wood Sandpiper, this time at the opposite end of the island, which made me sure there was 2 birds.  Watching this one, and checking back where the first one seen soon proved that there was actually 3 Wood Sandpipers, which later on were all seen together at the same time.  I think at least one was a juvenile

I tried to get photographs, not easy given the light, distance and their relative small size, but I managed some which show the key features.

First bird-


 2nd and 3rd  Birds -







No comments:

Post a Comment